Oliver Newell and I recently presented the following slides at the Open
Geospatial Consortium June 2009 meeting in Boston:
Title: Using Registration Procedures to Govern an ebXML RegRep 4
The presentation introduces the audience to the new Registration Procedures feature set in RegRep 4 within the context of the Next Generation Network Enabled Weather (NNEW) project in the US. Project participants include:
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- MIT Lincln Labs
- National Weather Service (NWS)
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- National Centre for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)
The NNEW project particpants are using the WellGEO RegRep implementation from Wellfleet Software to establish a federation of RegRep 4 registries. Each registry will be governed by the policies of its owner organization using the RegRep 4 Registration Procedures feature set.
The Registration Procedures feature set is based upon "ISO 19135: Registration Procedures" specification and defines a controlled work flow to manage changes to a Register.
Registers greatly simplify the governance of RegRep content by organizing the content within a registry into special folders called Registers. Various types of governance policies may be defined for a Register and indirectly its contents:
- Access control policy determines who can do what to the content of the register
- Notification policy determines who is notified when register status changes to specific values
- Validation policy determines how register content is automatically validated for conformance with organization policies
- Cataloging policy determines how register content is automatically cataloged to metadata
Registers leverage the most advanced features of RegRep such as role-based access control, subscription, notification, versioning, replication, federation. Although these features were available previously, the Registration Procedures feature allow these features to be used easily. For example, in the absence of any special configuration a register uses a default access control policy to limit changes to register content by authorized roles only and when such changes occur, to use a default notification policy to notify relevant roles of the change so review and approval of change can be done by relevant roles.
WellGEO RegRep is implementing the Registration Procedures feature set for release 4.5. For more information please send email to info-at-wellfleetsoftware.com.